Home / Detail
Dr. Jackson Orem
Executive Director Uganda Cancer Institute
Jackson Orem, MBChB, MMed, PhD, is a medical oncologist and honorary lecturer of Makerere University and Executive Director of the Uganda Cancer Institute. Orem spearheaded the creation of the East Africa’s Centre of Excellence in Oncology at the UCI with a mandate to provide specialized cancer care research and training for the entire East Africa region under the East African Community (EAC) network of Centers of Excellence.
Orem has strong international collaboration with civil society organizations such as American Cancer Society and is the alternate chair for African Cancer Coalition. In collaboration with IAEA, Orem is the national lead to develop radiotherapy services.
- Test & Treat Initiative: Official launch & introduction; for Early Cancer Prevention, Detection, diagnosis, and linkage to care for successful treatment
- Close the cancer Care Gap: Delivering commitment and creating synergies across countries, governments, and partners
- Amplifying stakeholders’ voices to apply the principles of meaningful & sustainable engagement & participation of all in cancer control programs
- Improved quality in cancer research, surveillance & innovations
- Realization of avenues for affordable & accessible cancer detection, diagnosis, treatment, and Palliative Care services
- Increased access to cancer screening, testing, and diagnostic supplies across all levels of care