Home / Detail
Dr. Nixon Niyonzima
Head, Research and Training Directorate
Dr. Nixon Niyonzima is a cancer researcher at the Uganda Cancer Institute working on the molecular characterization of cancers in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and the development of affordable low-cost diagnostics for cancers in resource-limited settings. Dr. Niyonzima completed his doctoral studies at the University of Washington where his work focused on HIV reservoir eradication and the design of PCR-based assays to quantify the latently integrated HIV.
Dr. Niyonzima is currently the laboratory director and head of research and training at the Uganda Cancer Institute. Dr. Niyonzima is an investigator on several studies seeking to elucidate the molecular profile of breast cancer in SSA. He is also involved in building capacity for cancer laboratory diagnostics in Uganda.
- Test & Treat Initiative: Official launch & introduction; for Early Cancer Prevention, Detection, diagnosis, and linkage to care for successful treatment
- Close the cancer Care Gap: Delivering commitment and creating synergies across countries, governments, and partners
- Amplifying stakeholders’ voices to apply the principles of meaningful & sustainable engagement & participation of all in cancer control programs
- Improved quality in cancer research, surveillance & innovations
- Realization of avenues for affordable & accessible cancer detection, diagnosis, treatment, and Palliative Care services
- Increased access to cancer screening, testing, and diagnostic supplies across all levels of care